Thursday, September 22, 2005

Update

Thursday, 9/22/05 12:52PM

Some 12 hours after my last post, I'll clue you in on the goings on here in Space City.

I barely slept last night. The storm actually strengthened last night and the computer prediction models were sending the worst part of the storm right for my back yard. Apparently the models have changed a bit, even since this morning. The storm has begun a bit of a turn to the north ahead of where they said it would. This bodes well for my immediate area, and not as well, obviously, for others. What right at this moment for me is somewhat of a relief is someone else's worst nightmare.

I rented a car this morning, one that I'm sure was one of the last available in town. The airport was completely out, and I got the last one at this agency. Our final decision is to stay put, and most of my neighbors have made the same decision. I'm still glad I got the car even though we may not even need it. It was a load off my mind. I just wonder how many people in the new predicted path decided last night to stay and now find themselves in the path of the storm. Who knows. The storm's path is still far from a certainty.

The freeways and traffic here are unreal. Its probably the major reason why we're not leaving. People are moving 25 miles or less in 12 hours. The main artery, I-45, had the southbound lanes reversed and all lanes are running north. My dad made a good point in saying, "where do you want to be stuck in the middle of a hurricane; at home or in a car on the freeway?"

Gasoline has become a real issue here. I'm thankful that I filled up when I did.

My wife said that the airport checkpoints are out of control, as more than half of the employees stayed home to prepare for the storm.

I boarded up 3 of the most difficult windows on the rear of my house. I'll get the rest later. Ironically, the windows I boarded up may be less at risk than the windows on the front of my house seeing as how the storm's predicted path has been ammended.

As I type this, the latest update has downgraded Rita to a Category 4 storm with maximum sustained winds of 150MPH, down from 175MPH last night. Keep in mind though, this is STILL the most powerful storm ever recorded in the Gulf of Mexico. Whichever area gets a direct hit will be devastated.

More to come later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web counters
Send Flowers