Thursday, April 21, 2005

I saw the sign, and it opened up my eyes

Signs, Signs, everywhere a sign

Have you ever noticed the church billboards with the sometimes slightly amusing one liners? Who comes up with these things? I'm not slamming them at all. I know that anyone with a PC can google the phrases and come up with more than a few hits, but these billboards were around long before the advent of the internet. Nothing really of interest to add, just a random observation.

Try a little tenderness

On a road not far from my house, there's a sharp turn. The road isn't lit very well at night, and with a 35 MPH speed limit(that's 56.327 KPH for our Canadian friends) the turn can be quite treacherous for the uninitiated. There's a guardrail on the outside of the turn that has been damaged for quite some time, at least as long as I can recall. Rather than fix it, they merely placed a sign at the beginning of the turn that says, "guardrail damage".

I'm not sure, but maybe one could just tack it up to the mentallity of the folks down here. Its not quite the rat race that one sees in other parts of the Country. I really notice how different it is when I travel. The last time I visited my parents in Delaware, I went to the grocery store with my Dad. When we were in the parking lot going from the car to the store, I noticed vehicle after vehicle driving at excessive speed through the crosswalk with people on either side waiting to cross. Expecting the drivers to yeild, I was nearly run over attempting to cross. This would never happen here in Space City. People drive fast here, but not through crosswalks. I've never seen more courtious drivers than those here. And people actually hold the door for you, and say strange new words and phrases like "please" and "thank you". I thought it was weird when I first moved here, but its the first thing I notice about other places when I travel. People just aren't polite in other parts of the Country.

Maybe they haven't replaced the guardrail for other more obvious reasons. I really think that my decision to move away from the East Coast lowered my stress level. Its so much easier to be a jerk to someone. I just think people just need to be nicer to each other.

2 Comments:

Blogger kjungleboy said...

Sistor,

Daddy loves you and appreciates your breaking the silence to post on OUR (yes, you are a member of this here 'lil old bloggy thing even though you have yet to post your own entry)webspace. "try a little tenderness" was an otis reding song, originally. I'm really impressed that you knew that Tesla did a cover of it; I had no idea whatsoever that they had. Your musical knowledge beguiles me to the point that I feel a need to tap even more obscure musical references.

It really isn't so much a game, this not-so-amusing musical innuendo, more of a self-serving means to create some sort of non-centralized method to the madness.

I don't know where I'm going with this.

You're name's Lilsistor, right?

PS - Sorry about the Scott thing. I thought he was an overrated drummer at best. Funny thing, buKit told me he was from hell in the talent department, but he wouldn't listen to a thing I told him to do. His kit was, to put it bluntly, as well tuned as a thrice trod apon pile of animal droppings. I'm sorry, but his drums sounded like ass. He could play rather well, but our "styles" just didn't mesh all that well. I've had that problem throughout my musical carreer for some reason. I did, however, find buKit far less confrontational and much more prone to doing whatever I said musically. That, in musical terminology, is the sign of a great drummer.

buKit

Not to kiss your ass (again), but you know what's funny? For all the people that ever played with us, my faith in you as THE drummer for our tunes NEVER waivered. Take that for what its worth.

I have no idea why I'm so damn picky when it comes to who i jam with, because I am by no means a "talent" by any stretch of the imagination.

I merely take solace in the fact that the fan or fans that we did have were entirely female.

Friday, April 22, 2005 1:13:00 AM  
Blogger kjungleboy said...

sistor,

are people too self involved to be polite, or not?

Sunday, April 24, 2005 12:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web counters
Send Flowers